Saturday, August 12, 2006

Fill me up, Diddy!

I've always enjoyed spending time alone. For as long as I can remember, solitude has been something I've cherished and have looked forward to. Even as an adolescent I would lock myself in my bedroom listening to music for hours and hours and enjoying my own company.

When I made the choice to move to New York I daydreamed often what my life would be like once I got here. Who would I meet? What kinds of restaurants, clubs, museums, fabulous homes, retail stores, neighborhoods would I visit? Would I have one of those crazy nights where me and a girlfriend meet two random dudes at a bar, really hit it off and end up at the hottest club in the city with Diddy filling up my champagne glass and Pharrell making eyes at me from across the room?

As of 8:53 on August 12, 2006 I have had no run-ins with Pharrell. In fact, I lead a pretty average life. I go to work five days a week, do a lot of dining out with friends. Hit a bar or a nightclub every once in a while. But for the most part all of these outings are pretty mild. And I tend to spend a lot of time to myself. In this town especially, it's something that I treasure. When you can't walk three feet without passing three people, a stolen moment alone is like gold.

Sometimes I feel like I should be sending stories to friends back in Atlanta about wild experiences and a forever rising salary (because of course one of the other big NYC expectations is overnight riches). After all, that would be kind of fun. But being the laid back dame that I am, I'm perfectly content with my quasi-boring life. Sometimes I wonder, though, what others on the outside are thinking. Am I getting old? Or maybe just maturing? Or am I lame?

2 souls spinning:

At 10:20 AM, August 14, 2006, Blogger me said...

i feel you!

 
At 8:01 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Your Girl said...

st: you really did it right...lived it up and had a great time and now have a beautiful family in a comfortable life. i hope i have the same one day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home